Wednesday, May 29, 2013

Musically Snobbish??





I was given a "boom box" on my 10th Birthday from my mom and my first cassette tape was "Kylie Minogue – Kylie" from my uncle on that very same day. A couple days later someone told me how to “tune in” to Radio 5 (now 5FM) and that was the end of that. Music was forever now linked to my soul.

I have soaked up and absorbed music like a sponge and even worked my first job out of High School in a record company. It is my place in life but one of two of my biggest passions.

I am highly passionate about many things but mainly music & food.

The two always mix for me as I couldn’t think of anything better than cooking whilst listening to a brand new CD that I have just discovered on iTunes or going to dinner at a new restaurant and discussing new artists, genre’s or CD’s. I must admit that I am probably boring people to death even as I type but I can't help it... All music makes me smile!

I get that most people are not as obsessive as me but I dare you to find me someone who doesn’t like some form of music whether it be Pop, Rock, Country, Classical, Jazz or Metal. Music is universal and generally the only thing most countries have in common in the Top 40 #1.

I’m a firm believer that music can save you and inevitably has some fantastic advice; you just have to listen carefully enough ;)

So now on to the reasoning behind this (and naturally I have a whole page dedicated to the reasoning)...

I have a slight problem with the knowledge of music that is out there and often get accused of being far too snobbish with my music. The truth is I will listen to absolutely anything once but if I don’t like it I will let you know (politely) and never listen to it again.

Then my other issue is people don’t look for any other music these days because it is just easier to listen to what everyone else listens to. Don’t get me wrong, I like “Moves Like Jagger” but not many people in South Africa had heard of Birdy or that it is a cover of a Grammy award winning band called Bon Iver? For people mad about the Top 40, does Grammy not equal airplay? For a country that adores Adele, I don’t really understand. Then to be fair again no radio stations played “Skinny Love” so how would they know? So why all the hidden music? What makes a band sell like Maroon 5 and what makes cult bands that are amazing sell only a 1000 CD's? Is good music bad for us? Or are we all brainwashed with bad music (or what I deem bad music) so people can make more money? And my final question; is my bad music your good music and vice versa?

So if you would allow me I would like to educate you slightly with my special brand of obsessiveness… Feel free to add your email to my "FOLLOW BY EMAIL" & please comment whenever! I need the education as well!

Oh and thank you for listening

XOXO

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank You!